Monday, February 7, 2011

Home Made Baby Food--prep work for Complete Formula

Again, I am re posting this prior post for making your own baby food.  This is the prep work needed to make your own complete Formula.  

I head to the store each week to buy my fresh ingredients. The original COMPLETE FORMULA recipe calls for the jar puree baby food. I have modified this to use REAL food because I feel like it is fresher and jarred baby food can be contaminated with wheat or other foods that are not tolerated.  I used to use baby food if I didn't have the time or ran out of prepared food.   If your child has a G-tube but does not have food in tolerances that you can do the same.  Another other tricks if you don't have a lot of time, is to by frozen veggies that you can steam and and then puree.


Whenever there is organic meat on sale, I buy some to make for dinner and I buy an extra pound to cook for Henry. I usually use Salmon, Lamb, Bison, and chicken. Salmon has the omega oils, which have so many wonderful benefits, including reducing of inflammation in the body.  This is why, I always include a pediatric dose of liquid omega oil in my feed (you can get this at vitamin cottage in the children's section).  Lamb and Bison are supposed to have the highest iron content of meat, and since Henry was once anemic, I like to alternate those meats.    Most recently, with Henry's diagnosis of Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES) I have only been using chicken and turkey because I am trialing solid foods right now. 

I cook the meats the same way I would for my family except I exclude the spices. Then I puree the meat in the food processor and usually use the broth left in the pan to dilute it. This way, I can puree it to a very thin texture. After much trial and error, I have found that this step is really important if you are making G-tube feeds so that your feed is thin enough that it wont get stuck in the G-tube. If needed, you can add water, juice or milk to thin the meats more.  I then take the pureed meats and veggies and pour them  into individual ice trays.  Freeze overnight and then place the frozen different meats and veggies in labeled bags.  I usually try to do the ice trays after I go grocery shopping or whenever I have extra meat and vegetables on hand.  This way, it is so easy to just grab a few ice cubes of meat and veggies, thaw and then make your feed or formula! Ladies, you can do this step to make your own baby food as well. Just take your left over potatoes or meat and make your ice cube trays at night and before you know it you will have a whole stash of fresh baby food. With organic baby food being 0.69 to 0.89 cents per jar, you will SAVE A TON of money--believe me it is worth it, plus it is SO MUCH healthier for your baby, also you can be sure that there are no additives, dyes, preservatives or allergens. You can use whatever veggies you'd like when you make the formula, however I typically always add half an avocado for extra calories and healthy fats.   Yams and Sweet potatoes are the quickest baby vegetable to make if you are low on your pre-made veggies.  Just wrap a sweet potato in plastic wrap and put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes (more if it's a big one) and WAH LAH--smash it up and instant baby food!


So that's the prep work so you have some fresh meats and veggies frozen and ready to go.  Check out the Miracle Grow link for making your own Complete Formula. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home