Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow Cream--The Magical Allergy Free Treat!

I had a friend in college who was the sort of friend that only comes along once in a life time.  You know, the kind that puts others before herself, the kind of person who loved to give gifts and celebrate every occassion--the kind of person who made up holidays like "Best Friends Day" just to make you smile.  The kind of person I'd love to be for my kids if I wasn't bogged down with the realities of life.   She is the one who first introduced me to Snow Cream--a delicious frozen treat that is free, fun and located right in your back yard.  I came home from a stressful day of nursing school and had to study for an exam that night.  I thought she was joking when she said, let's make some ice cream out of snow!  Ah, yeah right.  But she ran out side and came back and whipped it up in front of me, and in her magic way, for a moment, she made me forgot the cares of the day and we laughed as we enjoyed this silly treat together.  Of course during those care-free college days, I never imagined this recipe would be so handy, fast forward into the future of a world of food intolerances. 

The very best part!  Snow cream is ALLERGY FREE and safe--unless of course you have a dog, and in that case carefully examine your snow!  My kids absolutely love this, and they can help make it . Why don't you send yours outside today with a pot to collect the snow, tell them you have a suprise that you are going to make.  Then  you can all sit down together and enjoy a perfectly delicious and care-free treat, and for a moment, you can forget about the worries of the day and just enjoy each other.

Collect as much snow as needed to feed your family.  I used about 6 cups of snow.  Here's the recipe, but feel free to tweak it to your delight!  Have fun and enjoy the snow!

Snow Cream

6 Cups of snow
1 Cup of  sugar (try warm honey or agave nectar if you like) add more sugar to taste
Start with about 1/2 cup of milk ( coconut is FABULOUS if you can tolerate, rice, almond or hemp)--add more to make the consistency you desire
2 tsp natural vanilla
Mix together with a spoon until soft
Add chocolate sauce, fruit, cookies, a dab of coffee, or just eat plain--it's yummy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home